Pronunciation: (pep'ur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/pepper.html on line 79 [key]
1. a pungent condiment obtained from various plants of the genus Piper, esp. from the dried berries, used whole or ground, of the tropical climbing shrub P. nigrum.
2. any plant of the genus Piper. Cf. pepper family.
3. any of several plants of the genus Capsicum, esp. C. annuum, cultivated in many varieties, or C. frutescens.
4. the usually green or red fruit of any of these plants, ranging from mild to very pungent in flavor.
5. the pungent seeds of several varieties of C. annuum or C. frutescens, used ground or whole as a condiment.
6. Baseball.See pepper game.
1. to season with or as if with pepper.
2. to sprinkle or cover, as if with pepper; dot.
3. to sprinkle like pepper.
4. to hit with rapidly repeated short jabs.
5. to pelt with or as if with shot or missiles: They peppered the speaker with hard questions.
6. to discharge (shot or missiles) at something.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.