Pronunciation: (pur-sep'shun), [key]
1. the act or faculty of apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.
2. immediate or intuitive recognition or appreciation, as of moral, psychological, or aesthetic qualities; insight; intuition; discernment: an artist of rare perception.
3. the result or product of perceiving, as distinguished from the act of perceiving; percept.
4. Psychol.a single unified awareness derived from sensory processes while a stimulus is present.
5. Law.the taking into possession of rents, crops, profits, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.