Pronunciation: (pēr"ē-od'ik), [key]
1. recurring at intervals of time: periodic revivals of an interest in handicrafts.
2. occurring or appearing at regular intervals: periodic visits of a mail steamer to an island.
3. repeated at irregular intervals; intermittent: periodic outbreaks of the disease.
4. Physics.recurring at equal intervals of time.
5. Math.(of a function) having a graph that repeats after a fixed interval (period) of the independent variable.
a. characterized by a series of successive circuits or revolutions, as the motion of a planet or satellite.
b. of or pertaining to a period, as of the revolution of a heavenly body.
7. pertaining to or characterized by rhetorical periods, or periodic sentences.
Pronunciation: (pûr"ī-od'ik), [key]
of or derived from a periodic acid.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.