Pronunciation: (per'ish), [key]
1. to die or be destroyed through violence, privation, etc.: to perish in an earthquake.
2. to pass away or disappear: an age of elegance that has forever perished.
3. to suffer destruction or ruin: His valuable paintings perished in the fire.
4. to suffer spiritual death: Save us, lest we perish.
5. perish the thought, may it never happen: used facetiously or as an afterthought of foreboding.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.