Pronunciation: (plun'jur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/plunger.html on line 73 [key]
1. Mach.a pistonlike reciprocating part moving within the cylinder of a pump or hydraulic device.
2. Auto.a pistonlike part in the valve of a pneumatic tire.
3. Also called force cup, plumber's friend, plumber's helper. a device consisting of a handle with a rubber suction cup at one end, used as a force pump to free clogged drains and toilet traps.
4. a person or thing that plunges.
5. a reckless bettor or speculator.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.