Pronunciation: (poi'zun), [key]
1. a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.
2. something harmful or pernicious, as to happiness or well-being: the poison of slander.
3. Slang.any variety of alcoholic liquor: Name your poison!
1. to administer poison to (a person or animal).
2. to kill or injure with or as if with poison.
3. to put poison into or upon; saturate with poison: to poison food.
4. to ruin, vitiate, or corrupt: Hatred had poisoned his mind.
5. Chem.to destroy or diminish the activity of (a catalyst or enzyme).
causing poisoning; poisonous: a poison shrub.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.