Pronunciation: (pō'lur), [key]
1. of or pertaining to the North or South Pole.
2. of or pertaining to the pole of any sphere, a magnet, an electric cell, etc.
3. opposite in character or action: The two have personalities that are polar.
4. capable of ionizing, as NaCl, HCl, or NaOH; electrolytic; heteropolar.
5. central; pivotal: the polar provision of the treaty.
6. analogous to the polestar as a guide; guiding: a polar precept.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.