Pronunciation: (pop'ē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/poppy.html on line 73 [key]
—pl. -pies for 1, 2, 4–7.
1. any plant of the genus Papaver, having showy, usually red flowers. Cf. poppy family.
2. any of several related or similar plants, as the California poppy or the prickly poppy.
3. an extract, as opium, from such a plant.
4. Also called poppy red. an orangish red resembling scarlet.
6. an artificial flower resembling a poppy, esp. one received as evidence of a contribution to a fund for disabled war veterans.
7. tall poppy, Australian.someone of preeminence or with a large income; important and powerful person.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.