Pronunciation: (pôr'tij, pōr'-, or, for 2, 3, 5, 6, pôr-täzh'), [key]
—n., v., -taged, -tag•ing.
1. the act of carrying; carriage.
2. the carrying of boats, goods, etc., overland from one navigable water to another.
3. the route over which this is done.
4. the cost of carriage.
to make a portage: On this stretch of the river, we have to portage for a mile.
to carry (something) over a portage; make a portage with: We portaged our canoe around the rapids.
Pronunciation: (pôr'tij, pōr'-), [key]
1. a city in SW Michigan. 38,157.
2. a town in NW Indiana. 27,409.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.