Pronunciation: (pu-zesh'un), [key]
1. the act or fact of possessing.
2. the state of being possessed.
4. Law.actual holding or occupancy, either with or without rights of ownership.
5. a thing possessed: He packed all his possessions into one trunk.
6. possessions,property or wealth.
7. a territorial dominion of a state.
a. physical control of the ball or puck by a player or team: He didn't have full possession when he was tackled.
b. the right of a team to put the ball into play: They had possession after the other team sank a free throw.
9. control over oneself, one's mind, etc.
10. domination, actuation, or obsession by a feeling, idea, etc.
11. the feeling or idea itself.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.