Pronunciation: (prā), [key]
1. to offer devout petition, praise, thanks, etc., to (God or an object of worship).
2. to offer (a prayer).
3. to bring, put, etc., by praying: to pray a soul into heaven.
4. to make earnest petition to (a person).
5. to make petition or entreaty for; crave: She prayed his forgiveness.
6. to offer devout petition, praise, thanks, etc., to God or to an object of worship.
7. to enter into spiritual communion with God or an object of worship through prayer.
to make entreaty or supplication, as to a person or for a thing.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.