Pronunciation: (prep), [key]
—n., adj., v., prepped, prep•ping.
1. See preparatory school.
2. a preliminary or warm-up activity or event; trial run: The race is a good prep for the Kentucky Derby.
3. preparation: dealer prep on the car included.
4. the act of preparing a patient for a medical or surgical procedure.
1. preparatory: a prep school.
2. involving or used for preparation: the mortuary's prep room.
1. to prepare (a person) for a test, debate, etc.
2. to prepare (a patient) for a medical or surgical procedure, as by shaving and washing the skin with an antibacterial soap.
3. to prepare (a vehicle or craft) for sale, use, a test drive, or a race.
1. to prepare; get ready: to prep for the game.
2. to attend a preparatory school.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.