Pronunciation: (pri-skrīb'), [key]
—v., -scribed, -scrib•ing.
1. to lay down, in writing or otherwise, as a rule or a course of action to be followed; appoint, ordain, or enjoin.
2. Med.to designate or order the use of (a medicine, remedy, treatment, etc.).
1. to lay down rules; direct; dictate.
2. Med.to designate remedies, treatment, etc., to be used.
3. Law.to claim a right or title by virtue of long use and enjoyment; make a prescriptive claim. (usually fol. by for or to).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.