Pronunciation: (presh'ur), [key]
—n., v., -sured, -sur•ing.
1. the exertion of force upon a surface by an object, fluid, etc., in contact with it: the pressure of earth against a wall.
2. Physics.force per unit area. Symbol: P Cf. stress (def. 6).
3. Meteorol.See atmospheric pressure.
4. Elect.See electromotive force.
5. the state of being pressed or compressed.
6. harassment; oppression: the pressures of daily life.
7. a constraining or compelling force or influence: the social pressures of city life; financial pressure.
8. urgency, as of affairs or business: He works well under pressure.
9. Obs.that which is impressed.
1. to force (someone) toward a particular end; influence: They pressured him into accepting the contract.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.