Pronunciation: (prim'ur or, esp. Brit., prī'mur), [key]
1. an elementary book for teaching children to read.
2. any book of elementary principles: a primer of phonetics.
3. See great primer.
4. See long primer.
Pronunciation: (prī'mur), [key]
1. a person or thing that primes.
2. a cap, cylinder, etc., containing a compound that may be exploded by percussion or other means, used for firing a charge of powder.
3. a first coat or layer of paint, size, etc., given to any surface as a base, sealer, or the like.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.