Pronunciation: (priv'u-tiv), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/privative.html on line 75 [key]
1. causing, or tending to cause, deprivation.
2. consisting in or characterized by the taking away, loss, or lack of something.
3. Gram.indicating negation or absence.
1. Gram.a privative element, as a- in asymmetric.
2. something that is deprived.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.