Pronunciation: (prō-bos'is, -kis), [key]
—pl. -bos•cis•es, -bos•ci•desPronunciation: (-bos'i-dēz"). [key]
1. the trunk of an elephant.
2. any long flexible snout, as of the tapir.
3. Also called beak. the elongate, protruding mouth parts of certain insects, adapted for sucking or piercing.
4. any of various elongate feeding, defensive, or sensory organs of the oral region, as in certain leeches and worms.
5. Facetious.the human nose, esp. when unusually long or prominent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.