Pronunciation: (pru-dOO'sur, -dyOO'-), [key]
1. a person who produces.
2. Econ.a person who creates economic value, or produces goods and services.
3. a person responsible for the financial and administrative aspects of a stage, film, television, or radio production; the person who exercises general supervision of a production and is responsible chiefly for raising money, hiring technicians and artists, etc., required to stage a play, make a motion picture, or the like. Cf. director (def. 3).
4. Theat. Brit.(formerly) a director of theatrical productions; stage director.
5. an apparatus for making producer gas.
6. Ecol.an organism, as a plant, that is able to produce its own food from inorganic substances.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.