Pronunciation: (pru-fān', prō-), [key]
—adj., v., -faned, -fan•ing.
1. characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
2. not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (opposed to sacred).
3. unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.
4. not initiated into religious rites or mysteries, as persons.
5. common or vulgar.
1. to misuse (anything that should be held in reverence or respect); defile; debase; employ basely or unworthily.
2. to treat (anything sacred) with irreverence or contempt; violate the sanctity of: to profane a shrine.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.