Pronunciation: (pru-fesh'un), [key]
1. a vocation requiring knowledge of some department of learning or science: the profession of teaching. Cf. learned profession.
2. any vocation or business.
3. the body of persons engaged in an occupation or calling: to be respected by the medical profession.
4. the act of professing; avowal; a declaration, whether true or false: professions of dedication.
5. the declaration of belief in or acceptance of religion or a faith: the profession of Christianity.
6. a religion or faith professed.
7. the declaration made on entering into membership of a church or religious order.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.