Pronunciation: (pru-found'), [key]
—adj., -er, -est,
1. penetrating or entering deeply into subjects of thought or knowledge; having deep insight or understanding: a profound thinker.
2. originating in or penetrating to the depths of one's being; profound grief.
3. being or going far beneath what is superficial, external, or obvious: profound insight.
4. of deep meaning; of great and broadly inclusive significance: a profound book.
5. pervasive or intense; thorough; complete: a profound silence.
6. extending, situated, or originating far down, or far beneath the surface: the profound depths of the ocean.
7. low: a profound bow.
1. something that is profound.
2. the deep sea; ocean.
3. depth; abyss.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.