Pronunciation: (prom"u-nād', -näd'), [key]
—n., v., -nad•ed, -nad•ing.
1. a stroll or walk, esp. in a public place, as for pleasure or display.
2. an area used for such walking.
3. a march of guests into a ballroom constituting the opening of a formal ball.
4. a march of dancers in square dancing.
5. a formal dance; prom.
1. to go for or take part in a promenade.
2. to execute a promenade in square dancing.
1. to take a promenade through or about.
2. to conduct or display in or as if in a promenade; parade: They promenaded their prisoner before the townspeople.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.