Pronunciation: (pru-mōt'), [key]
—v.t., -mot•ed, -mot•ing.
1. to help or encourage to exist or flourish; further: to promote world peace.
2. to advance in rank, dignity, position, etc. (opposed to demote).
3. Educ.to put ahead to the next higher stage or grade of a course or series of classes.
4. to aid in organizing (business undertakings).
5. to encourage the sales, acceptance, etc., of (a product), esp. through advertising or other publicity.
6. Informal.to obtain (something) by cunning or trickery; wangle.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.