Pronunciation: (pru-mō'tur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/promoter.html on line 75 [key]
1. a person or thing that promotes, furthers, or encourages.
2. a person who initiates or takes part in the organizing of a company, development of a project, etc.
3. a person who organizes and provides financial backing for a sporting event or entertainment.
4. Chem.any substance that in small amounts is capable of increasing the activity of a catalyst.
5. Also called collector. Metall.a water-repellent reagent enhancing the ability of certain ores to float so that they can be extracted by the flotation process.
a. a site on a DNA molecule at which RNA polymerase binds and initiates transcription.
b. a gene sequence that activates transcription.
7. Obs.an informer.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.