Pronunciation: (pru-mō'shun), [key]
1. advancement in rank or position.
2. furtherance or encouragement.
3. the act of promoting.
4. the state of being promoted.
5. something devised to publicize or advertise a product, cause, institution, etc., as a brochure, free sample, poster, television or radio commercial, or personal appearance.
6. Also called queening. Chess.the replacement of a pawn that has reached the enemy's first rank by a more powerful piece of the same color, usually a queen.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.