Pronunciation: (pru-pōz'), [key]
—v., -posed, -pos•ing.
1. to offer or suggest (a matter, subject, case, etc.) for consideration, acceptance, or action: to propose a new method.
2. to offer (a toast).
3. to suggest: He proposed that a messenger be sent.
4. to present or nominate (a person) for some position, office, membership, etc.
5. to put before oneself as something to be done; design; intend.
6. to present to the mind or attention; state.
7. to propound (a question, riddle, etc.).
1. to make an offer or suggestion, esp. of marriage.
2. to form or consider a purpose or design.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.