Pronunciation: (prō'tu-kôl", -kol", -kōl"), [key]
1. the customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality, precedence, and etiquette.
2. an original draft, minute, or record from which a document, esp. a treaty, is prepared.
3. a supplementary international agreement.
4. an agreement between states.
5. an annex to a treaty giving data relating to it.
6. Med.the plan for carrying out a scientific study or a patient's treatment regimen.
7. Computers.a set of rules governing the format of messages that are exchanged between computers.
8. Also called pro'tocol state"ment, pro'tocol sen"tence, pro'tocol proposi'tion. Philos.a statement reporting an observation or experience in the most fundamental terms without interpretation: sometimes taken as the basis of empirical verification, as of scientific laws.
to draft or issue a protocol.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.