Pronunciation: (pru-vûr'bē-ul), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a proverb: proverbial brevity.
2. expressed in a proverb or proverbs: proverbial wisdom.
3. of the nature of or resembling a proverb: proverbial sayings.
4. having been made the subject of a proverb: the proverbial barn door which is closed too late.
5. having become an object of common mention or reference: your proverbial inability to get anywhere on time.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.