Pronunciation: (pru-vin'shul), [key]
1. belonging or peculiar to some particular province; local: the provincial newspaper.
2. of or pertaining to the provinces: provincial customs; provincial dress.
3. having or showing the manners, viewpoints, etc., considered characteristic of unsophisticated inhabitants of a province; rustic; narrow or illiberal; parochial: a provincial point of view.
4. (often cap.) Fine Arts.noting or pertaining to the styles of architecture, furniture, etc., found in the provinces, esp. when imitating styles currently or formerly in fashion in or around the capital: Italian Provincial.
5. Hist.of or pertaining to any of the American provinces of Great Britain.
1. a person who lives in or comes from the provinces.
2. a person who lacks urban sophistication or broad-mindedness.
a. the head of an ecclesiastical province.
b. a member of a religious order presiding over the order in a given district or province.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.