Pronunciation: (pru-vizh'un), [key]
1. a clause in a legal instrument, a law, etc., providing for a particular matter; stipulation; proviso.
2. the providing or supplying of something, esp. of food or other necessities.
3. arrangement or preparation beforehand, as for the doing of something, the meeting of needs, the supplying of means, etc.
4. something provided; a measure or other means for meeting a need.
5. a supply or stock of something provided.
6. provisions,supplies of food.
a. an appointment to an ecclesiastical office.
b. appointment by the pope to a see or benefice not yet vacant.
to supply with provisions.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.