Pronunciation: (pru-vizh'u-nl), [key]
1. providing or serving for the time being only; existing only until permanently or properly replaced; temporary: a provisional government.
2. accepted or adopted tentatively; conditional; probationary.
3. (usually cap.) of or being the wing of the Irish Republican Army that follows a policy of violence.
1. Philately.a stamp that serves temporarily, pending the appearance of the regular issue, or during a temporary shortage of the regular stamps.
2. a provisional member of a group.
3. (usually cap.) a member of the Provisional wing of the Irish Republican Army. Also,pro•vi•sion•ar•yPronunciation: (pru-vizh'u-ner"ē) [key] (for defs. 1, 2).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.