Pronunciation: (pyoor'i-tē), [key]
1. the condition or quality of being pure; freedom from anything that debases, contaminates, pollutes, etc.: the purity of drinking water.
2. freedom from any admixture or modifying addition.
3. ceremonial or ritual cleanness.
4. freedom from guilt or evil; innocence.
5. physical chastity; virginity.
6. freedom from foreign or inappropriate elements; careful correctness: purity of expression.
7. Optics.the chroma, saturation, or degree of freedom from white of a given color.
8. cleanness or spotlessness, as of garments.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.