Pronunciation: (pûr'lOO, pûrl'yOO), [key]
1. purlieus,environs or neighborhood.
2. a place where one may range at large; confines or bounds.
3. a person's haunt or resort.
4. an outlying district or region, as of a town or city.
5. a piece of land on the edge of a forest, originally land that, after having been included in a royal forest, was restored to private ownership, though still subject, in some respects, to the operation of the forest laws.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.