Pronunciation: (pûrs), [key]
—n., v., pursed, purs•ing.
1. a woman's handbag or pocketbook.
2. a small bag, pouch, or case for carrying money.
3. anything resembling a purse in appearance, use, etc.
4. a sum of money offered as a prize or reward.
5. a sum of money collected as a present or the like.
6. money, resources, or wealth.
1. to contract into folds or wrinkles; pucker: to purse one's lips.
2. to put into a purse.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.