Pronunciation: (pig'mē), [key]
—n., pl. -mies,
a. a member of a small-statured people native to equatorial Africa.
b. a Negrito of southeastern Asia, or of the Andaman or Philippine islands.
2. (l.c.) a small or dwarfish person.
3. (l.c.) anything very small of its kind.
4. (l.c.) a person who is of small importance, or who has some quality, attribute, etc., in very small measure.
5. Class. Myth.(in the Iliad) one of a race of dwarfs who fought battles with cranes, who preyed on them and destroyed their fields.
1. (often l.c.) of or pertaining to the Pygmies.
2. (l.c.) of very small size, capacity, power, etc. Also,Pigmy.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.