Pronunciation: (kyOO), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/q.html on line 86 [key]
—pl. Q's or Qs, q's or qs.
1. the 17th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter Q or q, as in quick, acquit, or Iraq.
3. something having the shape of a Q.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter Q or q.
5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter Q or q.
1. the 17th in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the 16th.
2. (sometimes l.c.) the medieval Roman numeral for 500. Cf. Roman numerals.
5. Thermodynam.a unit of heat energy, equal to 1018 British thermal units (1.055 × 1021 joules).
6. Also called Q-factor. Electronics.the ratio of the reactance to the resistance of an electric circuit or component.
7. Biblical Criticism.the symbol for material common to the Gospels of Matthew and Luke that was not derived from the Gospel of Mark.
5. (in Guatemala) quetzal; quetzals.
2. quart; quarts.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.