Pronunciation: (kwilt), [key]
1. a coverlet for a bed, made of two layers of fabric with some soft substance, as wool or down, between them and stitched in patterns or tufted through all thicknesses in order to prevent the filling from shifting.
2. anything quilted or resembling a quilt.
3. a bedspread or counterpane, esp. a thick one.
4. Obs.a mattress.
1. to stitch together (two pieces of cloth and a soft interlining), usually in an ornamental pattern.
2. to sew up between pieces of material.
3. to pad or line with material.
to make quilts or quilted work.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.