Pronunciation: (kwûrk), [key]
1. a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism: He is full of strange quirks.
2. a shift, subterfuge, or evasion; quibble.
3. a sudden twist or turn: He lost his money by a quirk of fate.
4. a flourish or showy stroke, as in writing.
a. an acute angle or channel, as one dividing two parts of a molding or one dividing a flush bead from the adjoining surfaces.
b. an area taken from a larger area, as a room or a plot of ground.
c. an enclosure for this area.
6. Obs.a clever or witty remark; quip.
formed with a quirk or channel, as a molding.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.