Pronunciation: (är), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/r.html on line 92 [key]
—pl. R's or Rs, r's or rs.
1. the 18th letter of the English alphabet, a consonant.
2. any spoken sound represented by the letter R or r, as in ran, carrot, or rhyme.
3. something having the shape of R.
4. a written or printed representation of the letter R or r.
5. a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter R or r.
6. See three R's.
Pronunciation: (är), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/r.html on line 158 [key]
—v. Informal.are: Oysters R in season.
3. regular: a man's suit or coat size.
5. restricted: a rating assigned to a motion picture by the Motion Picture Association of America indicating that children under the age of 17 will not be admitted unless accompanied by an adult. Cf. G (def. 7), PG, PG–13, X. [abbrev. for restricted]
6. Theat.stage right.
1. the 18th in order or in a series, or, when I is omitted, the 17th.
2. (sometimes l.c.) the medieval Roman numeral for 80. Cf. Roman numerals.
4. Physics.See universal gas constant.
5. registered trademark: written as superscript ® following a name registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
2. Com.registered (def. 2).
the theoretical intrinsic rate of increase of a population, equivalent to the difference between the birth and death rates divided by the number of individuals in the population. Also called Malthusian parameter.
6. (in South Africa) rand; rands.
8. Also,R(in prescriptions) take.
20. Theat.stage right.
18. Baseball.run; runs.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.