Pronunciation: (rag'id), [key]
1. clothed in tattered garments: a ragged old man.
2. torn or worn to rags; tattered: ragged clothing.
3. shaggy, as an animal, its coat, etc.
4. having loose or hanging shreds or fragmentary bits: a ragged wound.
5. full of rough or sharp projections; jagged: ragged stones.
6. in a wild or neglected state: a ragged garden.
7. rough, imperfect, or faulty: a ragged piece of work.
8. harsh, as sound, the voice, etc.
9. (of a column of type) set or printed with one side unjustified; either flush left with the right side unjustified (rag'ged right') or flush right with the left side unjustified (rag'ged left').
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.