Pronunciation: (rān'jur), [key]
1. See forest ranger.
2. one of a body of armed guards who patrol a region.
3. (cap.) a U.S. soldier in World War II specially trained for making surprise raids and attacks in small groups. Cf. commando (def. 1).
4. a soldier specially trained in the techniques of guerrilla warfare, esp. in jungle terrain.
5. a person who ranges or roves.
6. (esp. in Texas) a member of the state police.
7. Brit.a keeper of a royal forest or park.
8. Building Trades.wale1 (def. 5).
9. (cap.) one of a series of instrumented U.S. space probes launched in the 1960s that transmitted closeup pictures of the moon before impacting the lunar surface.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.