Pronunciation: (rap'chur), [key]
—n., v. -tured, -tur•ing.
1. ecstatic joy or delight; joyful ecstasy.
2. Often, raptures. an utterance or expression of ecstatic delight.
3. the carrying of a person to another place or sphere of existence.
4. the Rapture, Theol.the experience, anticipated by some fundamentalist Christians, of meeting Christ midway in the air upon his return to earth.
5. Archaic.the act of carrying off.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.