Pronunciation: (râr'i-tē), [key]
1. something rare, unusual, or uncommon: Snowstorms are a rarity in the South.
2. something esteemed or interesting in being rare, uncommon, or curious: That folio is a rarity that will bring a good price.
3. the state or quality of being rare.
4. rare occurrence; infrequency: Volcanic eruptions on the island occur with great rarity.
5. unusual excellence.
6. thinness, as of air or a gas.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.