Pronunciation: (rasp, räsp), [key]
1. to scrape or abrade with a rough instrument.
2. to scrape or rub roughly: The glacier rasped the valley floor.
3. to grate upon or irritate: The sound rasped his nerves.
4. to utter with a grating sound: to rasp out an answer.
1. to scrape or grate.
2. to make a grating sound.
1. an act of rasping.
2. a rasping sound.
3. a coarse file, used mainly on wood, having separate conical teeth.
4. (in an insect) a roughened surface used in stridulation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.