Pronunciation: (rô), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/raw.html on line 79 [key]
—adj., -er, -est,
1. uncooked, as articles of food: a raw carrot.
2. not having undergone processes of preparing, dressing, finishing, refining, or manufacture: raw cotton.
3. unnaturally or painfully exposed, as flesh, by removal of the skin or natural integument.
4. painfully open, as a sore or wound.
5. crude in quality or character; not tempered or refined by art or taste: raw humor.
6. ignorant, inexperienced, or untrained: a raw recruit.
7. brutally or grossly frank: a raw portrayal of human passions.
8. brutally harsh or unfair: a raw deal; receiving raw treatment from his friends.
9. disagreeably damp and chilly, as the weather or air: a raw, foggy day at the beach.
10. not diluted, as alcoholic spirits: raw whiskey.
11. unprocessed or unevaluated: raw data.
1. a sore or irritated place, as on the flesh.
2. unrefined sugar, oil, etc.
3. in the raw,
a. in the natural, uncultivated, or unrefined state: nature in the raw.
b. Informal.in the nude; naked: sunbathing in the raw.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.