Pronunciation: (rē'pres'), [key]
to press again or anew.
Pronunciation: (ri-pres'), [key]
1. to keep under control, check, or suppress (desires, feelings, actions, tears, etc.).
2. to keep down or suppress (anything objectionable).
3. to put down or quell (sedition, disorder, etc.).
4. to reduce (persons) to subjection.
5. Psychoanal.to reject (painful or disagreeable ideas, memories, feelings, or impulses) from the conscious mind.
to initiate or undergo repression.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.