Pronunciation: (ri-sep'tiv), [key]
1. having the quality of receiving, taking in, or admitting.
2. able or quick to receive knowledge, ideas, etc.: a receptive mind.
3. willing or inclined to receive suggestions, offers, etc., with favor: a receptive listener.
4. of or pertaining to reception or receptors: a receptive end organ.
5. (in language learning) of or pertaining to the language skills of listening and reading (opposed to productive).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.