Pronunciation: (rek'um-pens"), [key]
—v., -pensed, -pens•ing,
1. to repay; remunerate; reward, as for service, aid, etc.
2. to pay or give compensation for; make restitution or requital for (damage, injury, or the like).
to make compensation for something; repay someone: no attempt to recompense for our trouble.
1. compensation, as for an injury, wrong, etc.: to make recompense for the loss one's carelessness has caused.
2. a repayment or requital, as for favors, gifts, etc.
3. a remuneration or reward, as for services, aid, or the like.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.