Pronunciation: (rek'tu-fī"), [key]
—v.t., -fied, -fy•ing.
1. to make, put, or set right; remedy; correct: He sent them a check to rectify his account.
2. to put right by adjustment or calculation, as an instrument or a course at sea.
3. Chem.to purify (esp. a spirit or liquor) by repeated distillation.
4. Elect.to change (an alternating current) into a direct current.
5. to determine the length of (a curve).
6. Astron., Geog.to adjust (a globe) for the solution of any proposed problem.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.