Pronunciation: (rē-dub'ul), [key]
—v., -bled, -bling,
1. to double; make twice as great: to redouble one's efforts.
2. to echo or reecho.
3. Bridge.to double the double of (an opponent).
4. to go back over: to redouble one's footsteps.
5. Archaic.to repeat.
1. to be doubled; become twice as great.
2. to be echoed; resound.
3. Bridge.to double the double of an opponent.
1. Bridge.the act of doubling one's opponent's double.
2. Fencing.an attack in a line other than that of the previous attack, made after the failure of the opponent to follow his or her parry of the previous attack with a riposte.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.